The Yangshuo Cooking School offers the best local cooking class in Yangshuo with the opportunity to learn how to cook real Village food with skilled and friendly teachers who love to impart the stories and secrets of Chinese cuisine in a friendly fun atmosphere. The cuisine of Guangxi Province is simple but extremely tasty using the broad diversity of food that is produced in this fertile area and the cooking classes embrace a teaching style based on doing rather than watching.
The Yangshuo Cooking School is located in the beautiful countryside just outside Yangshuo in a tastefully renovated traditional Chinese farmhouse, the perfect setting to learn to cook the local way.
First they will take you shopping in the local market of Yangshuo to learn about the ingredients that you will use in your dishes. At the end of the cooking class you will eat the meals together and informally explore Chinese culture, folk-lore and customs.
They also have different courses on offer to suit your schedule including a two day-course offered on consecutive days or if you are a “Foodie” you may wish to join their week-long intensive course. All courses are hands-on so that you will be able to reproduce real Chinese food when you return home and usually include a tour of the Yangshuo local market to learn about the ingredients used in this area. The Yangshuo Cooking School is the combination of the talents of Pam Dimond and Jackie Tang who also offer private one-to-one classes and are able to cater for vegetarians and food allergies.
The Yangshuo cooking school offers two cooking classes each day, one in the morning with a pick-up time between 9.00-9.30am and one in the afternoon starting at 15.00-15.30. The price for a course from the 1st of April 2013 is 180Y and includes a pick-up from your accommodation in the center or nearby, a guided tour around the market, the course itself and lunch.
For more detailed information about cooking courses and menu options have a look at their website.
As an own contribution, here we share the recipe of the delicious local Dragon Eggplant dish offered to us from the chef at the Pomelo Garden, restaurant of the Yangshuo Village Retreat:
– 1 aubergine
– 1 green and red bell pepper
– 1/2 onion
– 1 carrot
– tsp oyster sauce
– flour, oil, sugar, salt, starch to bind the sauce
– Make various small cuts in an aubergine so you would almost cut it in slices but do not cut completely, it should remain 1 piece. This is just to bend the eggplant into a circle and to be able to marinate it from the inside.
– Place the aubergine in a bowl with salted water for about 1 to 2 minutes.
– Heat oil in a frying pan. (about 3 cm, enough to cover half of the aubergine)
– Take the aubergine out of the salted water and move it through a bowl with flour.
– While the flour slowly penetrates, cut 1 green and 1 red bell pepper (the not spicy rather sweet type), half of an onion and 1 carrot in very small cubes (4mm). The quantity of these ingredients would be more or less the same.
– Deep-fry the aubergine, press on it with tool (that can stand the heat eh) so the inside of the aubergine gets fried too, and turn it upside down when the flour colours yellow and crispy.
– Fry the veggies in another pan with a bit of oil. Add salt and a spoon of oyster sauce and stir.
– Add water so the veggies are completely covered (add a bit more for more sauce). When the sauce boils, add a bit of sugar. Mix some starch with water and add it to thicken the sauce. Make enough sauce because better too much (good for the next one 😉 than too little eh.
– The aubergine should be done by now and can be placed in a circular shape onto a plate. Pour the sauce over it and ready!
|Getting There: The cooking school arranges a pick-up from Yangshuo park near the local market of Yangshuo.|
|Times/Duration: Courses Range from a few hours to week long intensive courses. Morning classes 09.30 – 13.00 ; afternoon classes 15.00-18.30|
|Prices: A half day cooking class costs 180Ypp. Contact us for updated pricing for multi-day or weekly courses.|
|Booking Information: Contact us at Yangshuo-Insider and we will reserve the cooking class and transfers for you.|